Construction Management Services
Advantages of Construction Management Over General Construction Contracting
- The overall cost of the project should be lower than the typical contractor bid. Most contractors mark up their sub-contractor bid and material prices by 35% to 40 %. The contractor typically uses the same one sub-contractor for a particular scope of work. What ever that preferred sub-contractor elects to bid is what is used. The contractor uses that amount and then adds his mark up of 35% to 40%. We use our preferred sub-contractors for the budget amount but seek at least one other independent and unrelated bid for the same scope of work. This allows the client to receive real competitive bids as well as a lower mark up.
- Your project receives professional supervision on a day to day basis. Our fee includes the day to day supervision of your project by one of our superintendents. We are on your site as needed to be sure the sub-contractors perform their work as required and in a professional coordinated manner. A specific sub-contractor is only interested in performing their scope of work which when left unsupervised, might impact in a negative way the overall finished project. Supervision is needed on a daily basis to be sure the project is completed is a way that meets the needs of the clients.
- We manage and make the day to day decisions to produce the completed project in keeping with the approved plans and the stated desire of the owner. We are the agent for the owner with the sub-contractors and the building inspectors. We coordinate all required inspections. We always have the interest of the owner foremost in our mind. Our only agenda is to complete the project in keeping with the desires of the owner. We do not try to reduce the scope or the quality of the project to create more profit. We do not develop an adversary attitude with our owner, as we work for the owner.
- The owner has more control over the financial situation. There are no large payments made that might be mishandled. This arrangement allows more of a “pay as you go” situation. Each week a list of payments is prepared for the owner to pay as work moves forward. If the owner has limited time and wishes us to make the payments directly to the sub-contractors and material providers, we can perform that service if requested.
- The owner has the opportunity to buy directly from the wholesale suppliers many of the expensive items. When your project includes a bath room, the following is a typical example. In most cases the contractor will have the plumber include the fixtures. Most plumbing sub-contractors mark up these materials 35% and includes this markup in his bid to the contractor. The contractor in turn marks up the plumber’s bid by 35% to 40%. Our project management system allows the owner to pay the real wholesale price plus our 25% mark up for our construction management fee. This feature alone will save a lot of money. During the design process we work with the design architect to develop the most effective construction materials and techniques to produce the highest quality finished product. We work to plan for the needed mechanical systems rather than chop up the project to fit in these need components. Our belief is if you plan properly things proceed orderly too produce the desired high quality completed project.
Project and Construction Management Services include but are not limited to:
- Review of contract documents
- Monitor project progress
- Maintain a full-time project coordinator on-site
- Document project meetings, schedules, information flow and transmittals
- Expedite the processing and approval of shop drawings, samples and test reports